The Texas Digital Library (TDL) community is invited to attend a new 3-part webinar series, Laying the Foundation for Research Data Services. This series addresses a need identified at the TDL Fall 2016 Data Symposium: to equip librarians with information on how to communicate data services to their campus communities. In this series, attendees will be introduced to the Texas Data Repository’s role in the research data infrastructure and the Data Information Literacy (DIL) model as a framework for building a data service program. Registration is required, and free to TDL members.
- Session 1. Getting Started with the Texas Data Repository and Data Competencies
- Friday, February 17, 2017 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (CST)
- This initial webinar will cover the Texas Data Repository’s role as an integral part of the research data infrastructure in Texas and introduce a set of competencies for data training on your campus. This session will preview following sessions and include results from the data symposium and how these webinars address some of these needs.
- Session 2. Teaching Data: Developing Data Instruction Using a Multi-Level Competency Model
- Tuesday, February 28, 2017 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (CST)
- In this webinar, we will discuss how the Data Information Literacy (DIL) model has been expanded at the University of Texas at Arlington as an adaptable frame on which to build an entire data services program. The presenter will describe the data competencies, their levels, and expectations for teaching emerging, intermediate, and expert level audiences.
- Session 3. Learning By Example: Connecting Data Competencies with the Texas Data Repository
- Thursday, March 9, 2017 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (CST)
- This webinar session will connect teaching data competencies explored in Session 2 with core functionality of the Texas Data Repository. It will address data competency learning outcomes, including: using the TDR to add, describe, share, and publish data; managing data, including versioning and de-accessioning data; and downloading and using data.
- Kristi Park, Executive Director, Texas Digital Library
- Santi Thompson, Head of Digital Research Services, University of Houston Libraries
- Peace Ossom Williamson, Director of Research Data Services, University of Texas at Arlington Libraries
Visit the TDL Webinars page for more information and to register.